- Mariopedia's PipeProjects are similar to Wikipedia's WikiProjects. Therefore, Wikipedia's standards for WikiProjects are roughly equivalent to ours (except that ours pertain to Mario and its related franchises) and external links to those guidelines are included on this page for help.
A PipeProject is a portal for a major project that often branches out into multiple articles. With the Mariopedia growing day by day and upcoming Mario games, articles about and relating to those games could use some organization to be completed, hence PipeProjects. When creating PipeProjects, using Template:PipeProject to start out with is straightforward.
Before creating a PipeProject, make sure that it involves more than one article, since you can communicate with other members on a single article's talk page instead.
PipeProjects were originally a feature on the Super Mario Wiki. A user named Wayoshi came up with the idea on August 14, 2006 as a way to more easily coordinate an effort to create articles on several Luigi's Mansion-related subjects. As a total of 99 Luigi's Mansion-related articles were being created (49 ghosts, 49 rooms, and 1 main article), the talk page became cluttered, and ideas on how to create some of the ghosts and rooms' pages were split between the template talk pages and the main talk page, thus making it hard to spread pertinent messages and inspirations throughout the people working on the expansive article. It took 25 days to create all 99 articles for Luigi's Mansion, and collaborative PipeProjects are meant to cut that time at least in half on any future undertakings of similar size.
On March 26, 2012, PipeProjects were discontinued on the Super Mario Wiki. A decade later, on June 4, 2022, the feature has been revitalized on Mariopedia. Due to the small community size of Mariopedia, any rule about amassing at least ten supporters has been taken out. Furthermore, Mariopedia allows for more lenience when creating PipeProjects, but the staff reserves the right to veto any unnecessary or potentially harmful PipeProject.
Rules for suggesting PipeProjects
- If you have an idea for a PipeProject, you can suggest it here. Make a brief yet clear "description" of what you want the project to do and list yourself as the "director." You also need list for the "supporters" other than yourself and a place for "comments". if you are unsure what to do, copy the formatting of existing PipeProject suggestions.
- PipeProjects must contain multiple articles: if you only want to fix a single page, just hold an informal discussion on the talk page; changing a few pages can also be done without the formalities of a PipeProject.
- PipeProjects should be about expanding, rewriting and creating content; applying existing templates, categories and infoboxes; and any other work that will fill holes in the database or bring neglected pages up-to-date.
Contents of the Portal
A PipeProject should be created at PipeProject:_____.
On the main page the following is included, but not limited to:
- So users can bookmark the page, a shortcut can be made that redirects to the PipeProject (PP:__)
- What it hopes to get accomplished in a set of goals
- A sign-up section (where you can join by using ~~~).
- Structure: How to create and/or edit the articles the project applies to
- Templates and/or Categories to add for each article
- A link to a good article as an example, if necessary
- A userbox users can add saying they are part of the specific PipeProject
List of PipeProjects
- Monty Moles – Improve upon and create articles for Monty Moles and their relatives
- Mario Pinball Land – Improve our coverage on Mario Pinball Land by creating the relevant articles and expanding information
- RPG tables – Replacing RPG enemy infoboxes with tables