A Spike Eel from Super Mario 3D Land.
|First appearance||Super Mario 3D Land (2011)|
|Latest appearance||Super Mario-kun Volume 46 (2013)|
Spike Eels are enemies found in Super Mario 3D Land. They are magenta colored eels with purple spikes on their back and three big yellow spikes on their head, that slightly resemble hair. They have a big mouth, a white lip and a single sharp tooth.
Super Mario 3D Land
Spike Eels appear only in underwater tropical levels, notably in World 3-2, World 7-1 and Special 2-2. They stay in holes and swim in Mario's way, like Maw-Rays and Gringills. They take 15 hits to defeat with the Fire Flower or Boomerang Flower, but can be defeated in a single hit with invincibility or by transforming into Statue Mario and crushing them. They can also be attacked from the front or behind. Their tails are also spiked.
- This section is a stub. You can help Mariopedia by .
|Super Mario 3D Land||Utsubo||Utsubo||Romanization of「ウツボ」(moray eel)|
Also the Japanese name of Maw-Ray, which otherwise usually goes by the internal filename "moray"
Names in other languages
|Portmanteau of「トゲトゲ」(togetoge, spiky) and「魚」(uo, fish)|
Jiān Cì Yǘ
|Sharp Spike Fish|
|German||Dornenaal||From "dornen" (thorn) and "aal" (eel)|
|Italian||Anguillo Spino||Spike Eel; anguillo come from anguilla (eel) with the male suffix -o|
- Although Spike Eels do not appear in Super Mario Odyssey, they appeared in concept artwork for the Seaside Kingdom.
- von Esmarch, Nick. Super Mario 3D Land PRIMA Official Game Guide, page 14.
- Shogakukan. 2015. Super Mario Bros. Hyakka: Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook, Super Mario 3D Land section, page 181.
- The Art of Super Mario Odyssey, page 228