Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga sprite
|Variant of||Koopa Troopa|
|First appearance||Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (2003)|
- “Aaaah! How did THAT happen??? You guys are no slouches!”
- —Ankoopa, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Ankoopas (also generically referred to by Prima as "Turtles") are pudgy, giant Koopa Troopas found only in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. They are cross-eyed and have oblong shells which extend up from their backs, behind their heads. Their name is a combination of the words "anchor" and "Koopa," with the former word referring to how they are hard to move.
Ankoopas block certain paths in the Beanbean Kingdom, reciting the line, "Derr... No matter what you hit me with, you can't knock me down. I think..." when spoken to. One also appears in a house in Beanbean Castle Town.
The road-blocking Ankoopas can only be moved with Mario's Dash technique, which knocks them down briefly; they will move aside and express surprise at the Bros.' ability, and then allow the pair to progress.
In Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions, they are replaced by Giant Koopa Troopas.
- “My sources tell me that one of the four Beanstar pieces fell north of town into the Yoshi Theater. But the road to the Yoshi Theater is blocked halfway by Ankoopa!”
- —Information Booth shopkeeper, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Names in other languages
|Possibly a portmanteau of「残った」(nokotta, a sumo term) and「トータス」(tōtasu, tortoise), likely incorporating「ノコノコ」(Nokonoko, Koopa Troopa)|
|Spanish||Tortuga gigante||Giant turtle|
- ^ "A giant Turtle blocks the passage to a cave to the right of the watering hole. (And, no, the Hammers the boys receive won't do the trick.)" - Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga Prima's Official Strategy Guide. Page 58.
- ^ 「②の石橋の向こう側に立っているノコッタスをダッシュで倒せば、先へと進める。なお、ノコッタスは、ここ以外にもいろいろな場所にいるので、見かけたらぶつかってみよう。」 Shogakukan. Mario & Luigi RPG Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook. Page 75.