The Whomp King's appearance in Super Mario Galaxy 2
|First appearance||Super Mario 64 (1996)|
|Latest appearance||Super Mario 3D All-Stars (2020)|
The Whomp King is a character in the Mario franchise. He is the king of all the Whomps. The Whomp King's first appearance was in Super Mario 64 as the boss of the Whomp's Fortress. When he appears, Whomp King states that he is angry about how people treat rocks and seems to want retribution.
Super Mario series
Super Mario 64/Super Mario 64 DS
The Whomp King makes his debut in Super Mario 64. He hates those who don't show respect towards his kind. When he is confronted on top of Whomp's Fortress, he makes a short speech, then engages Mario in battle. Like most Whomps, his only attack is to fall face-first in an attempt to crush his opponent. However, this is also his weakness, because in the time it takes him to recover and stand up, the player can Ground Pound his back. After being Ground Pounded three times, the Whomp King will be defeated and the player will receive a Power Star. For some reason, if the player wall kicks into the Whomp King and jumps away from him before the fight, Whomp King will talk to the player as soon as they land. In this way, players may fall off the arena, in which case Whomp King will talk to the player and will then initiate the fight, only for the battle to end seconds later, since Mario is not allowed to move very far from a boss he is fighting with.
For the Super Mario 64 remake, Super Mario 64 DS, the Whomp King has undergone slight changes in his appearance. He now wears a golden crown which distinguishes him easily from the other Whomps, and his arms and feet look more like they're made of rock. Unlike the original Super Mario 64, he can no longer be defeated via a glitch which allows the player to jump right through his body and then Ground Pound him easily. Otherwise, his role is essentially the same as in Super Mario 64.
Super Mario Galaxy 2
- “Lets see you try and ground-pound the Whomp King again!”
- —Whomp King
In Super Mario Galaxy 2, he returns as a boss in Throwback Galaxy. However, how he is encountered is slightly different from how he was in Super Mario 64. At the top of the fortress, a Whomp is found instead of the Whomp King. After it is defeated, the entrance door on the ground (emblazoned with Bowser's emblem on it) opens to reveal a pathway to the Whomp King, who is fought on the underside of the fortress. The sky turns dark and stormy when the Whomp King appears.
His fight is similar to his debut fight in Super Mario 64, and he also quotes, nearly word-for-word, his original speeches from the aforementioned game. If the player dies while fighting him he gives the same speech only to interrupt himself in the middle of it saying "... oh forget it, I'm sick of this speech...". Along with his sheer size increase and the smaller area which Mario can Ground Pound to damage him, he also has a few new abilities. When he attempts to crush Mario, the attack will create a shockwave when he hits the ground, which will paralyze Mario for a brief moment if he doesn't jump at the correct time. This can prevent Mario from ground pounding his back in time. He can also stomp his foot to produce several miniature Whomps called Whimps that chase after Mario. Additionally, Mario can no longer use a Ground Pound to pass through the Whomp King while he falls, which was a glitch in Super Mario 64 that made him much easier to defeat.
If the Whomp King manages to crush Mario, he loses a life instantly, regardless of how many wedges of health he has left. Whomp King shares his music with Digga-Leg. Oddly, the guide says that the Whomp King is genderless (even though his name's King Whomp).
Mario Party 3
Mario Golf series
- "It makes me so mad!" - Super Mario 64 / Super Mario 64 DS / Super Mario Galaxy 2
- "We build your houses, your castles. We pave your roads, and still you walk all over us!" - Super Mario 64 / Super Mario 64 DS / Super Mario Galaxy 2
- "Do you ever say thank you? No! Well, you're not going to wipe your feet on me!" - Super Mario 64 / Super Mario 64 DS / Super Mario Galaxy 2
- "I think I'll crush you just for fun! Do you have a problem with that?" - Super Mario 64 / Super Mario 64 DS / Super Mario Galaxy 2
- "Just try to pound me, wimp! Ha!" - Super Mario 64 / Super Mario 64 DS
- "Just try to ground-pound the Whomp King! Ha!" - Super Mario Galaxy 2
- "It makes me so mad! We build your houses, your castles, your-- Arrrgh! I'm tired of this speech! Lets see you try and ground pound the Whomp King again! Arrrg!" - Super Mario Galaxy 2
- "No! Crushed again! I'm just a stepping stone, after all. I won't gravel, er, grovel." - Super Mario 64 / Super Mario 64 DS / Super Mario Galaxy 2
- "Here, you win. Take this with you!" - Super Mario 64 / Super Mario 64 DS
- "OK, you win. Here--take this with you!" - Super Mario Galaxy 2
- "Dang it!" - Super Mario Galaxy 2
- "Excuse me for not getting up. I'm the Whomp King. If you had a (random item), I'd move..." - Mario Party 3
Names in other languages
|French||Roi Whomp||King Whomp|
|German||König Wummp||King Whomp|
|Italian||Re Womp||King Whomp|
|Portuguese (Brazil)||Rei Esmagão||King Whomp|
|Spanish||Rey Roco||King Whomp|
- In Super Mario Galaxy 2, if the player fights the Whomp King, loses and returns again, he says a different speech:"It makes me so mad! We build your houses, your castles, your-- Aargh! I'm tired of this speech! Let's see you try to ground-pound the Whomp King again!".
- This is a reference to the fact that in Super Mario 64 (and other bosses with dialogue in 3D games), when the player leaves a boss fight, and then returns, the boss will repeat its dialogue all over again.
- In Super Mario 64, the Whomp King isn't wearing a crown. In the DS remake, he is wearing a crown.
Thwomps and relatives
|Akuiwagumi (leader) • Chō Dossun • Gattai monster • Head Thwomp • Mr. Thwomp • Mrs. Thwomp • Sphinx Zō • Thwomp • Thwomp Bros. • Thwomp Elevator|
|Bone Thwomp • Grindel • Mega Thwomp • Security Thwomp • Sniffle Thwomp • Spiked Thwomp • Super Thwomp • Tail Thwomp • Thwimp • Thwomp|
|Whomp • Whomp King|
|Big Whomp • Whimp • Whomp|
|Bomp • Flomp • Giant Grrrol • Grrrol • Grumblump • Ka-thunk (King Ka-thunk) • Omodon • Pouncer • Rhomp • Spiky Tromp • Spindel • Spiny Tromp • Stairface Ogre • Stone Elevator • Thwack • Thwack Totem • Tox Box • Tsuboshi • Walking Block • Walleye • Wallop • Wonder Thwack|