- Not to be confused with Monty Mole or Rocky Wrench.
Model of a Monty from Super Mario Galaxy.
|First appearance||Super Mario Galaxy (2007)|
|Latest appearance||Super Mario 3D All-Stars (2020)|
Montys are enemies featured in the galaxies Battlerock Galaxy, Gusty Garden Galaxy, and Dreadnought Galaxy in Super Mario Galaxy. They are moles that wear blue and striped bandanas, and are likely a relative to the Undergrunts.
Montys attack by throwing wrenches at Mario or Luigi when either playable character is nearby. Montys retreat into their bunker if the player approaches them, re-emerging as the player moves away. When a Monty is at the surface, the player can either shoot a Star Bit at it or perform a Ground Pound nearby to knock the Monty over, making it susceptible to any attack, such as stomping or spinning.
Screenshot from Super Mario Galaxy
Two Montys in the Battlerock Galaxy
Mario next to a Monty's hatch in the Dreadnought Galaxy
Names in other languages
|Abbreviation of「モグラ」(mogura, mole)|
Same as Undergrunt
- The internal file name for the wrench Montys throw is "MoguStone," suggesting that they may have originally been intended to throw rocks instead of wrenches. This is coincidentally similar to how Monty Moles attack in Super Mario 64.
- The Monty's attack patterns are similar to that of the Rocky Wrench (another mole enemy found throughout the Mario franchise), as well as their English name sounding similar to Monty Mole's name (with Monty Moles having been simply referred to as just Monty on a few occasions as well). Despite this, Montys are unrelated to both Rocky Wrenches and Monty Moles and share no major connections to either of them.
- ^ "Mario begins his journey on the outer rim of Battlerock Galaxy, standing on a trio of discs. The second and third discs in the collection are dominated by two pesky Montys, molelike creatures that pop above and belowground to hassle the hero. To defeat a Monty, ground pound right next to its hole just as the baddie shows its head. The Monty is flipped upside down, its little feet wiggling in the air. Spin next to the Monty to knock it out of its hole and earn some Star Bits." Black, Fletcher. Super Mario Galaxy PRIMA Official Game Guide. Page 110.
- ^ Shogakukan. 2015. Super Mario Bros. Hyakka: Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook, Super Mario Galaxy section, page 128.
- ^ Super Mario Galaxy PRIMA guida ufficiale, pag. 110
- ^ Super Mario Bros. Enciclopedia; pag. 128