Gargantua Koopa Troopa
- This article is about the Koopa Troopas native to Big Island. For information about the form the Koopa Troopa take after obtaining a Mega Star, see Mega Koopa.
|Gargantua Koopa Troopa|
A Gargantua Koopa Troopa from Super Mario Galaxy 2.
|First appearance||Super Mario Bros. 3 (1988)|
|Latest appearance||Super Mario 3D All Stars (2020)|
|Species origin||Koopa Troopa|
Gargantua Koopa Troopas are sub-species of Koopa Troopa. They are gigantic versions of their normal counterparts around the Mushroom Kingdom.
Super Mario series
Super Mario Bros. 3
Gargantua Koopas appear in Super Mario Bros. 3 and reside only on Big Island (along with other gigantic creatures like Grand Goombas and Piranhaci Gigantici). Mario and Luigi have a harder time avoiding these Koopas because of their increased size. Despite this, if the plumbers stomp on a Gargantua Koopa, it will hide inside its Giant Green or Red Shell, just like an average-sized Koopa does when it feels threatened. Once inside, the plumbers can kick their shells away. Gargantua Koopa Troopas were members of Bowser's army during his attack on the eight major lands of the Mushroom World. Their sub-species, Colossal Koopa Paratroopas, appear alongside them as well.
Super Mario 64
In Super Mario 64, a single Gargantua Koopa Troopa known as Koopa the Quick appears in the game as a friendly racing rival to Mario. He hails from Tiny-Huge Island (an island filled with both miniature and gigantic enemies) but he is the only Gargantua Koopa Troopa seen in the game.
Super Mario Galaxy 2
They reappear in Super Mario Galaxy 2 in the Supermassive Galaxy. Only three are found patrolling a solitary planetoid where they will attempt to flatten Mario if he gets in their way. They can only be defeated with a Spin Drill by drilling into their belly from the opposite side of the planet. If Mario performs a Long Jump on a Gargantua Koopa Troopa so that he catches up with the it each time, he can get 1UPs for every time he stomps onto it, allowing maximum 1UPs to be gained.
New Super Mario Bros. U
Gargantua Koopa Troopas appear in New Super Mario Bros. U, and are common enemies in Jungle of the Giants. This is the first game was seeing in two-legs form and wearing shoes. The player is no longer able to carry their shells in this game. Additionally, their shells are able to break through normal-sized Brick Blocks without bouncing off. Unlike previous games, the Gargantua Koopa Troopa is bipedal. And they also wear shoes.
Super Mario Maker / Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS / Super Mario Maker 2
Gargantua Koopa Troopas also appear in Super Mario Maker Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS, and Super Mario Maker 2. Here, they can be produced by applying a Super Mushroom to a Koopa Troopa. They behave identically to a Koopa Troopa but their larger size makes them a bigger obstacle. Wings can also be applied to a Gargantua Koopa Troopa which will turn them into a Colossal Paratroopa.
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
In Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, a regular Koopa Troopa named Hookbill was transformed by Kamek into a Gargantua Koopa Troopa in order to stop Yoshi from reaching World 5. It acted as the boss of World 4.
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions
Gargantua Koopa Troopas also appear in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions the remake of Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga replacing the Ankoopas found in the original game. Gargantua Koopa Troopas serve the same role as the Ankoopas (blocking paths) until the Fire Tickle is learned at which point they can be knocked over.
In Paper Mario, a greedy and nearsighted Gargantua Koopa Troopa named Kent C. Koopa appears as a boss in the game. He is known as a bully and refuses to let anyone pass by him unless they pay his fee of 100 coins. If anyone refuses his fee he will not let them pass and if they disobey him he will proceed to beat anyone up unmercifully. Mario and his partners had to fight him in order to return to Koopa Village. He also taught the Koopa Bros. how to fight.
- Hookbill the Koopa - A normal Koopa Troopa transformed into a Gargantua Koopa by Kamek.
- Kent C. Koopa - A Gargantua Koopa Troopa seen in the Paper Mario series.
- Koopa the Quick - A Gargantua Koopa Troopa who loves to run.
- Ankoopa - Giant Koopas in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga.
- Heavy Troopa - Gargantuan versions of Koopa Paratroopas.
- Tub-O-Troopa - Gargantuan green-shelled versions of Koopa Paratroopas.
- Super Dry Bones - Possible skeletons of Gargantua Koopa Troopas.
- Turtle Zone - A place in Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins That takes place in a Gargantua Koopa Troopa.
Names in Other Languages
|Big Koopa Troopa|
- Although standard Koopa Troopas became bipedal in Super Mario World, Gargantua Koopa Troopas remained quadrupedal for decades until New Super Mario Bros. U where they ultimately became bipedal as well. They were also given shoes just like a standard Koopa Troopa.